Bancroft "Banli'a" Gairn (pronounced /ˈbæŋkrɒft gɛən/) (27th Sun 6th Umbral Moon (Dec 27)) is a Garlean miqo'te who dwelt in an isolated village high in the mountains. Plagued by wanderlust at an early age, he found his way into a remote Elezen village and became an apprentice to a local smith. He remained there until the village was attacked by Garlean forces and burnt to the ground. Unwilling to return to his birth place and with no other home to return to he has since been wandering across the map, eventually making his way into Eorzea.
★ If you like my layout and would like to use it, please feel free to take & edit it as you like! Credit isn't necessary but it would be appreciated. Thank you!
This character has been rebooted! You can find the new page here. This page will remain in place for people who are interested in the layout.
Appearance & Personality
- Standing tall with broad shoulders, unruly hair, and dark features, Bancroft cuts an impressive figure to match a deep and gravelly voice. He is rarely seen without his trademark blue deel held shut by an orange sash, and his off-white pants are tucked into dark leather boots that curve up at the toe. At some point it appears the boots had a design but has since faded over time. On occasion Bancroft can be seen wearing a deep blue turban to hide his ears.
- Due to his rather isolated lifestyle Bancroft has developed poor social skills and experiences difficulty in expressing himself or understanding situations often appearing to be rather aloof and stoic. As far as physical expression goes, he seems to be stuck with a permanent scowl; every once in awhile there might be the ghost of a smile. Harsh lessons in life have caused Ban to become cautious around others to the point where he expects everyone to have an ulterior motive even if someone demonstrates sincere kindness toward him.
- Despite being an intelligent enough individual, Bancroft lacks the ability to read or write in Eorzean but is capable of grasping a handful of words.
- Ban was born high in the mountains of the northern Garlean territory on a cold, winter morning. Although his biological father was absent from his life it had little influence on Bancroft as Nagra, the miqo'te woman who married his biological mother, stepped in to take up the mantle of father and provider. As a child, Ban proved himself as a menace to both his parents and the clan. He was stubborn and adventurous, often disobeying directions in favor of doing something more entertaining such as climbing trees to ambush the other children in the village.
- Eventually, the growing sense of wanderlust became overpowering. At the age of six, Ban decided to venture out on his own. As strange and unusual as it seemed to outsiders, it was generally accepted that the young men of the clan would desire to depart in favor of a more nomadic lifestyle. Ban's own departure was met with little resistance. He did not make it far, as a few days later an elezen man manage to catch him after Ban broke into his home. As it turned out, the elezen was Nichiel Ta'ea, who eventually became the father of Deirdre Ta'ea. Given Nichiel's own troubled past he instantly connected with the energetic youth and decided to take him on as an adopted son and apprentice, tempering the wild energy into something more productive. Ban eagerly took learning Nichiel's craft, working diligently day in and day out.
- Nearly a year later, Deirdre was born and Ban quickly fell into the role of brother and protector for the baby. Despite having an outlet for his abundant energy, Ban's wanderlust soon began to grow stronger once more as the days passed.
- The peace was not to last. In 1555 the family was thrown into disarray when Nichiel's second child was stillborn. Unable to pull Nichiel from his grief, Ban took to looking after Deirdre. In the following years, Nichiel began to groom Ban for the day he would eventually take over the business. This involved learning tricks of the trade and meeting with Nichiel's own trading partners. It was during this time that the young Ban met a Highlander named Cade, the son of a merchant Nichiel often dealt with. The two grew closer but the Highlander became even closer to Deirdre. Although Ban greatly disapproved of this budding relationship and had no problems of voicing his opinions, he did not actively interfere or try to keep them apart.
- Ban and Deirdre had already become distant and in 1558 their relationship was strained even more as Ban took a more involved interest in his work, frequently taking week long trips to other cities and villages to sell his own wares, gaining gil and a reputation as a swordsmith. The last time Ban saw his family alive was in the winter of 1561, after being gone a month he returned to find the village burnt to the ground. Nichiel was amongst the dead but Deirdre and her mother were missing.
1561 - 1577
- Fueled by desperation Bancroft began to search for the whereabouts of his missing sister. The trail led him to a large city that was a few days away, much to his dismay the trail soon turned cold. Ban reluctantly remained in the city as he searched high and low for Deirdre. It was not until a few months of endless searching did Ban finally begin to lose hope. He packed what little he had and left the city to continue his search through the Garlean Empire.
- During his travels, Ban often took any job he may find in exchange for food and a place to sleep. He found himself repairing weapons, farming equipment, and doing any heavy lifting that was in demand; he was not above declining the few times when someone invited him into their bed either. It was a place to sleep and he was always gone by morning, never lingering for more than a month in any one place.
1577 - Present
(... Backstory RP currently in progress, will update as it continues.)
Some of these rumors are untrue or are greatly exaggerated. Please feel free to add your own rumors under PC!