|Namesday||12th Sun of the 1st Umbral Moon|
The kindhearted water conjurer
"I think... that the past defines who we were and the future defines who we will become. But the here and now will define who we want to be. We can't let past mistakes hold us back, and we can't let fearing the future keep us from enjoying the present, you know?"
Appearance & Personality
- Avelyn stands a bit under average Midlander height with a slender build, which is less suited for fighting. She inherited her light blonde hair and bright blue eyes from her mother. Her build is lean, and while she isn't physically imposing, she is by no means weak. Years of swimming, fishing, and gathering have kept her in reasonable shape. Due to her family's poverty, she often wears simple clothes, though when she does get the choice of what she would most like to wear, she prefers either white or blue colored attire. Avelyn always wears a blue crystal amulet given to her by her father before he passed. Avelyn is almost always carrying some sort of book with her due to wanting to learn as much as she can. In addition, she also carries her staff with her when she needs to cast conjuration spells.
- While Avelyn is the bookish sort, she isn't shy around people. Her willingness to meet and help people is as strong as her desire to learn to better master controlling Aether through conjuration. She us very empathetic and likes to listen to people's problems and help them, which sometimes backfires on her due to naivety. Avelyn tries to stay as optimistic and cheerful as possible despite the circumstances, and she attempts to put off the notion that she has everything together, which works better sometimes than others. In times of crisis or danger, Avelyn sways between wanting to be overly cautious about protecting people and being overly curious about trying to figure out creative ways to stop the danger. Having spent almost her whole life living near the small settlement of Candlekeep Quay, she doesn't know a lot about the greater world, only small things here and there that she's picked up on visits to Limsa Lominsa. As an aspiring disciple of magic, Avelyn has taken a personal affinity to the element of water, perhaps due to her growing up by the ocean or spending time in and around the water, which naturally lends itself to the study of becoming a conjurer.
- Studying magic
- Travelling to new places
- Helping people in need
- Physical combat
- The poor being looked down on
- Avelyn was born and grew up in a small home near Candlekeep Quay to a relatively poor family of fisherman. The three of them lived in a small, one-room home. Their living situation was nearly solely dependent on how good the day's catch was. Occasionally pirates would pilfer the Wrynn family's catch on the ocean, and they would go hungry for a day or two. That didn't stop them from being happy, though. Avelyn and her mother and father were very close. Very early on in her childhood, Avelyn learned to swim in the ocean, a hobby that she very much enjoyed, and once she came of age, Avelyn began to go out on the boat with her father to help catch fish to feed the family and then sell the excess. When she was 8 years old, Avelyn met Kaidri, a highlander girl around her age who would later become her best friend. While Avelyn was shy as a child, her relationship with the outgoing, outspoken and adventurous Kaidri helped her to come out of her shell, though she would never become quite as brash and straightforward as her friend. Avelyn was only 12 when the Calamity befell Eorzea. Luckily, her family was not strongly affected by the disaster, though they certainly felt the fallout with all the chaos that happened.
- As a teenager, Avelyn grew bold and strong enough to take the boat out on her own. In addition to helping support the family by fishing, she also began to dive for pearls and salvage out deeper in the ocean to sell. She would occasionally compete with Kaidri to see who could find the most valuable or random thing on the ocean floor. She also began to travel from her home a bit more often, though she only really traveled to Limsa Lominsa to help her family sell her wares. it was during one of those trips to Limsa Lominsa where Avelyn had her first encounter with a disciple of magic, entertaining people on the streets. Though she had heard and read about magic, she hadn't really gotten a chance to see it up close and personally. She was fascinated and decided she wanted to one day learn to do it herself. On each and every trip she could make to the city, she would attempt to speak with anyone who knew anything about magic, borrow books, and attempt to practice in her spare time. Unfortunately for Avelyn, her family would soon have need of that very disciple of magic. Her mother caught a very bad illness that rendered her bedridden, and Avelyn and her father sought out the man to attempt to cure her. Despite a long and difficult attempt to cure the disease, the healer failed, and her mother ultimately succumbed to the illness. After the loss of his wife, Avelyn's father was never really the same. He turned to alcoholism and began to squander what little the family had on drink. One night after drinking too much, he ran across a small gang of pirates intent on mugging him. He drunkenly tried to fight back, but was quickly cut down. Avelyn was devastated by the loss of her parents. She tried to cope by focusing on magic, but eventually she decided that the small home and the small town made her miss her family too much. She decided to take what she had and say goodbye to Kaidri and her hometown and attempt to move on to a new life, selling all that she and her family owned, and using the gil to more formally educate herself, specifically in the art of conjury, as she was naturally talented in the arts, she progressed quickly, which was quite fortunate for her sake, because the gil that she was using to pay for that education eventually ran out. Avelyn became a bit of a nomadic vagrant, continuing to study Aether and magic at every opportunity. She began to take the healing spells she had learned in her education and use them to earn her keep, becoming somewhat of a travelling healer in training. Even though she had almost nothing, she was still happy to occasionally offer her services for free, especially to the poor that wouldn't normally be able to afford any sort of medicine or healing services.
- Eventually, her wandering travels took her to Gridania, the home of the conjurers guild. She had planned to stay with the guild for as long as she could to further sharpen her skills, but while she was there, her course changed. She overheard several conversations about a group called the Knights of Eorzea. Apparently, the fairly new group thought themselves to be a group formed to help protect and serve the citizens of Eorzea, and they had just moved nearby to Hrystmill. Her interest piqued in a group that existed solely for the purpose of helping others, Avelyn decided to investigate the group. After some conversations with the leadership, Avelyn decided to join the Knights of Eorzea, eventually attaining the rank of knight after being a squire to the Free Company's leader, Ryslo Suramlo. Today, Avelyn continues working with the Knights of Eorzea with the goal of continuing to learn more every day about conjury and how to be a better knight.
Some of these rumors are untrue or are greatly exaggerated. Please feel free to add your own rumors under PC!