However, this Highlander is more than she seems. Disgraced Ala Mhigan noble and ex-Resistance fighter, Brynhilde lives life under a false identity, ever seeking to stay one step ahead of the Garlean Empire's terrible vengeance. All the while she endeavours to redeem herself for the crimes of her youth, a burden which she feels she will never escape.
|Citizenship||Ala Mhigan refugee|
- 1 Recent Events
- 2 Character
- 3 Combat
- 4 Occupation, skills and pastimes
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Rumors
- 7 History/Timeline
- 8 Character Connections
- 9 Trivia & Miscellaneous
- 10 Artwork
- 11 Author's Notes
First Astral Moon, 1578 (Jan' 2014)
- Brynhilde's Nameday passes. She is now 40 cycles old.
- Brynhilde attempts to depart Eorzea for reasons unknown, but is prevented from doing so by friends.
|Icy blue.||Copper; shoulder-length. Waved.||Pale, lightly freckled.||Athletic, strong.||Soft, unhurried. Light accent.|
|Dignified, graceful.||None.||Fire||22nd Sun of the First Astral Moon, 1539|
Brynhilde stands at 6 fulms and 1 ilm tall with long, slender limbs and neck. She has the archetypal developed musculature of the Highlander woman, while keeping the feminine body shape.
Bryn has a slim face, with a fine nose, full lips and thick brows. She has porcelain-pale skin, with light freckling across her nose, cheeks and shoulders.
Her eyes are a very pale sky blue, and she keeps them lined with brown kohl.
Her hair is quite thick, and she usually keeps it neatly tied. It is mostly smooth, but some of Brynhilde's hair has a coarser texture to it owing to her Highlander heritage, and these strands she wears in locks she binds with ribbon and adorns with charms. When worn loose, her hair reaches below her shoulder blades.
A good look at her reveals that Bryn takes greater pride in her personal appearance than your average adventurer. When not in her well-kept armour, she chooses light, often feminine attire. She has a good eye for colour and her fingernails are oddly well-kept for an adventurer. She wears a pleasant lavender fragrance, and often applies a light gloss to her lips.
Bryn has no tattoos, but a few fine scars on her hands and arms. She does, however, have some significant scarring on her torso. She has two piercings in either earlobe, and wears simple silver studs in them.
Brynhilde's voice is smooth and somewhat breathy. While her cycles in greater Eorzea have softened her Ala Mhigan accent, it is still notable in her rolled R's and occasional pronunciation of W's as V's. Her accent is more pronounced when she is upset.
She maintains good posture, typically keeping her head held high and back straight, accentuating her already considerable height as a Highlander. At rest, her expression is often stern or impassive. She can often come across as haughty.
|PRIMARY MOTIVATOR||Beneficence||Sense of Humor||Jokey|
|Integrity||Pragmatic||Sexual Expressive Style||Romantic|
|Impulsiveness||Spontaneous||Openness to sexual experience||Low|
|Flexibility||Stubborn||RELIGION & SPIRITUALITY|
|Interactivity||Engaging||Expression of beliefs||Rarely|
|Topics of Conversation||Adventure; hobbies; animals; jokes|
|Quirks, Habits, & Oddities||lip-chewing; substance use; insomnia; pacing; singing|
|Hobbies & Enjoyments||Drinking; calligraphy; smoking|
Bryn, despite surface impressions, is a woman of intense feeling. She is deeply compassionate, and fervently loyal to friends and family. She is very principled, and has a tendency to consider the needs of the group above her own. She will willingly do what others won’t, if she believes it is for the best. She is determined to the extreme; once she has decided on a course of action, naught will keep her from her goal.
With her calm, confident demeanour and tendency to be decisive and assertive, Bryn is a natural leader. While she does not actively seek to lead, she is comfortable being the one others turn to for guidance.
Although she always desired a family, Bryn's devotion to the resistance kept her from ever having children of her own. Perhaps as a result, and owing to her qualities of being 'the protector' type, Bryn has a mothering side to her. She likes to take care of those around her, be it through making sure they're fed a decent meal, or through offering a sympathetic ear.
Having spent her younger Cycles in Ala Mhigo's noble courts, Bryn is adept in charm and flattery, and will happily employ both to her advantage in social situations. Bryn has been known to use her skill in diplomacy to smooth over difficult social situations to great effect. She can sometimes come across as rather flirtatious, although she rarely has genuine romantic intentions.
Her desire to protect those around her, coupled with her ‘bigger picture’ views, can make her very self-destructive and reckless. She is a martyr, with little regard for her own safety and happiness. Her principles can make her overly-righteous at times, to the point where she has difficulty perceiving other views and shades of moral grey. As a result, she can be prone to extremism.
Cycles spent in the militarized environment of the Ala Mhigan resistance have left Bryn with a measure of distaste for authority, rules and rigid social structures. She cares for laws only insofar as they serve toward achieving moral ends. As soon as she perceives them as having become a hindrance to those ends, Bryn swiftly abandons them in favour of her own moral code. This can make her something of a wildcard.
Bryn can be overly-proud, sometimes to the point of arrogance, and is often loathe to reveal anything about herself which she feels could put her at a disadvantage. Brynhilde is incredibly guarded, and rarely ever surrenders information about herself unless asked. Even then, her answers are often evasive and sometimes dishonest. She can be uptight and reluctant to relax.
She is slow to trust and does not cope well with emotional vulnerability. She has a strong desire to maintain control at all times, both of herself and her environment, and sometimes unfortunately of the people in her life, too.
Although it is a difficult thing to provoke her into anger, her temper is explosive when lost. It takes a lot to drag Bryn into an argument. Once there, however, she digs her heels in and doesn't yield. She’s not entirely above a shouting match if the argument is regarding something she feels passionately about, but generally she prefers to avoid conflict whenever she can. Insults have little effect on her; the quickest way to witness her temper is to attack those she cares for. That said, a particularly sore point is her Ala Mhigan heritage. Insult it at your peril.
Having come from a traditionalist Mhigan family, Brynhilde has some unhealthy prejudices and attitudes. She tends to keep these mostly to herself, and as a result they rarely affect her relationships.
Brynhilde believes that she has a duty to suffer until her final day. Moments of happiness for her are thus shadowed by a quiet anxiety which is hard for her to discard.
Being the guarded character that she is, Bryn does not grow close to others quickly. A potential lover would need to be willing to invest the time and energy needed to get her to lower her defences before there could be any chance for intimacy. Trust is a big issue for Brynhilde and she is also keenly aware that, owing to her history, allowing others to get close to her may put them at risk of harm.
In others she respects the qualities of strength, virtue and courage. Her partner would need to be a person who is non-judgemental and compassionate. She is put off by lecherous behaviour and empty flattery.
Bryn recognises that she is equally attracted to both men and women, but her prejudices keep her from being attracted to anyone who isn't either Highlander or Roegadyn. She is concerned for the purity and longevity of the Highlander race, and so would be very reluctant to enter into sexual relations with a man of another race.
The best word to describe Brynhilde's religious beliefs would be "Gods-fearing". She believes in the Twelve but does not actively worship any of them, although in her youth she gave homage to Rhalgr, according to her peoples' custom. Bryn believes that the Twelve have little involvement in or care for the lives of mortals, excepting that they are vengeful and sure to dole out justice to those who are cruel.
She believes nonetheless that she has been favoured by Rhalgr and Halone all her life, a belief that causes her no small amount of grief.
Brynhilde grew up in the militaristic culture of Ala Mhigo, and so was raised with a concern for the needs of the group, the unit and the nation above the individual. Her traumatic experiences of war and the warrior culture turned her away from this mentality, as she saw the worst that the 'greater good' mindset could lead to. She subsequently turned toward a firm belief in the worth of each life, and the irrevocable dignity of the individual.
As such, she reviles politics that disregard the needs of the poor and disempowered. She holds contempt for those who support such politics, and particularly those who believe that it is acceptable to sacrifice the few for the sake of the many.
Brynhilde despises the lust for wealth, and is prone to distrust those who display it.
In battle Brynhilde favours the sword and shield, and prefers a longer blade to the shortsword or gladius. She is swift in battle and possessing of remarkable grace, fighting with a dancing, flourishing style of swordplay rarely seen among adventurers. She tends toward a more defensive stance, and most often on the battlefield can be found with shield raised, stood between her comrades and that which would harm them.
In combat, Bryn wears a combination of plate, chain and leather. The heavy plate she wears to guard her torso against the inevitable blows she endures as a defender, as well as to guard her sword-arm. She wears the lighter chain on her legs to preserve mobility, and the leather on her gauntlets and greaves to maintain flexibility.
She has incredible staying power; although she may have suffered heavy blows and her body screams with fatigue, she will fight until either her foe is defeated, or she is overwhelmed. Pain seems to have little effect on her.
Her strong Highlander body gives Bryn the raw strength to overwhelm most opponents in close-quarters combat, with the exception of Roegadyn and male Highlanders. However, she possesses little defence against magical and ranged attacks.
After many moons of intense practice and study, Brynhilde has achieved a greater mastery of curative magic. As she continues to improve, she seeks ways to utilise her spells in close-quarters battle, so as to better defend and protect her allies.
Although rarely employed, Brynhilde has an understanding of the basic functioning of magitek small arms and improvised explosives. She is also skilled in the use of the traditional Highlander weapon of the zweihander, or two-handed sword.
If given the choice, Bryn would rather not fight at all. Although she is not a pacifist, she detests senseless violence and never fights without good cause.
Occupation, skills and pastimes
"I was born under the sign of the Goddess of war. My people followed the God of destruction. All I ever wanted was tae raise Chocobos."
Bryn is a Landsknecht, a follower of a little-known and proud martial tradition of Ala Mhigo. She is very selective about work she takes on, often agreeing to it only if she would not be required to violate her moral code in order to complete the job. As such, she has built up a modest reputation in Limsa Lominsa and Ul’dah as a reliable person who deals fairly and honourably with those she works with. She has a marked concern for the underdog and the downtrodden. Recently she has mostly concerned herself with the dealings of the secretive Aeon free company.
Bryn loves to ride, and she and her chocobo, Astridr, typically cover several malms every day. She finds a measure of peace in travelling, in cooking and reading, and sometimes in writing. She loves Chocobos and hounds, often preferring their company to that of other people.
She also has a secret, tragic love for trashy romance novels. You know, the really awful ones with titles like, ‘The Viscount’s Mistress’, and ‘The Doctor’s Bride’. Heaving bosoms abound!
Bryn likes music and stories, particularly romance. She enjoys drinking, and owing to her noble origins, is a talented dancer. Just perhaps not in the dancing styles you’d most often find in Eorzea’s taverns.
Linkshells and Organisations
Aeon Free company : Brynhilde has registered with the Immortal Flames as the leader of a new free company known only as 'Aeon'. It is an unusual company in the respect that it does not appear to actively recruit new members, and it also offers no mission statement or clue as to it's goals.
Player Character Relationships
|●♥♥Daghbheri Himalspyr Show text
Brynhilde's relationship with Dogberry began with a cordial friendship, but soon began to blossom into something more. Their unlikely pairing had a somewhat rocky start, as it was marred at times by misunderstanding and tension. Despite this, the two continued to be drawn together by mutual attraction until they at last embarked upon a romantic relationship.
Bryn admires Dog's frankness, humour, sensitivity and devotion to his son, although at times she struggles to understand his outlook on life. While at first her attraction to him was mostly in the physical sense, Bryn's growing feelings for Dog have been coming to the fore in recent weeks. She looks forward to seeing where their relationship goes with cautious optimism; a rare thing, for her.
|●Tiergan Vashir Show text
Although their relationship began with mutual distrust, recent events have brought Brynhilde and Tiergan closer together. Close enough, even, for Bryn to place her life in Tiergan's hands. Bryn was pleasantly surprised to learn that they share a homeland, and has come to appreciate Tiergan's selflessness and combat proficiency. Having correctly guessed Tiergan's difficult past, Bryn also feels sympathetic toward the Miqo'te. Despite her thinly-veiled prejudice against most Miqo'te, Brynhilde views Tiergan almost as a brother.
|●Striding Oak Show text
The two met in La Noscea when Oak came to Bryn's aid as the Hyur fled attackers. Oak arrived in time to find a gravely wounded Brynhilde, whose life she saved by ripping a spear tip from her side so that the White Mage Ne'ci Aera could heal her. After that, the two began to develop a close friendship. As moons passed and the two spent time together, Bryn began to realise that her feelings for Oak ran deeper than she was ready to admit. Eventually the two confessed their feelings, and embarked upon a loving, affectionate and happy relationship. Oak's long absence in the previous cycle was difficult for Brynhilde to cope with. Eventually she resolved to move on with her life, although it was no easy decision for her to make.
Now that Oak has returned, things between the two of them couldn't be further than what they once were; their relationship is cold and sometimes hostile. Bryn will not speak on it.
|●♥Flickering Ember Show text
Bryn has spent the better part of a cycle quietly watching over this young Roegadyn. While some might find Ember's lack of any understanding of social mores odd or frustrating, for the most part Bryn finds them endearing. She has a maternal attitude toward the girl, and her protective urges over her can unfortunately lean toward the overly-fierce.
|●♥Reima Awen Show text
Much like her feelings toward Ember, Brynhilde feels a quiet adoration and affection for Reima. The girl's boundless optimism and youthful innocence inspire maternal feelings in the Highlander, and she often struggles to express them.
|●♥Brave Horizon Show text
When Brave first came to Cliffperch, Bryn became her mentor in the art of the sword. Those days have long since passed, and events following them have left Bryn feeling increasingly distanced from the Hellsguard. She is often frustrated by Brave's hot-headedness and what Bryn views as an over-eagerness to jump to rash action. She struggles to find a way to articulate her feelings to Brave and grow closer to her, but guilt keeps her at bay.
|●♥Arcian Martell Show text
Bryn appreciates Arcian's level-headedness, and feels that she is a potentially good influence on Brave Horizon. Bryn and Arcian, however, are similar in their serious attitudes. This has perhaps kept them from being as close as they could be. Nonetheless, Bryn has opened up to Arcian before, and the younger Highlander is aware of one of Bryn's gravest secrets. To this day, she remains one of a tiny handful of people who know the true extend of the horrors of her past.
|●♥Gharen Wolfsong Show text
Ever happy to meet a fellow Highlander, Bryn first met Gharen in the Black Shroud, where she attempted to engage him in amiable conversation. Bryn intially found Gharen's taciturn nature quite frustrating, but time spent training and socializing together since has given her a better understanding of the man. Bells spent in conversation with Gharen have shown Bryn a kindly, honourable and admirable man whose company she greatly enjoys. She wishes to see him safe and happy, but has thus far maintained her distance out of respect for his pride.
|●Nadeau Celeste : Show text
The leader of the Traveling Templar gained an initial appraisal from Bryn of simply being a 'sweet enough lass'. Certain things that have come to light over time, however, have soured Bryn's opinion of the Midlander. In particular, Nadeau's obvious affection for Varus is troubling to Bryn. To say that she does not trust Nadeau would be an understatement. Regardless, Bryn has not made this known to Nadeau. She is content to watch, and to learn. For now.
|●Varus Adelric Rosenthal : Show text
It was a contract with the Templar that first introduced Brynhilde to Varus, and she decided immediately that she did not like him. The veracity of her gut instinct would later be confirmed the more she learned of him. They spoke recently, although Bryn will not say what the topic of conversation was. Nevertheless, her dislike of the man seems only to have intensified.
|●Horace Rook : Show text
For some unknown reason, Brynhilde initially suspected Rook of intending to kill her when they first met. But as Bryn would soon come to learn, this enigmatic Hyur is nothing if not persistent. A somewhat standoffish Bryn began to warm to Rook over time, however, the more frequently they talked. Although many consider Rook to be untrustworthy, their relationship has developed to the point where Bryn feels genuine fondness for the man, which seems to be reciprocated.
|●Sion Gyr : Show text
Bryn met her fellow Highlander and Ala Mhigan in the North Shroud, when the two started up a conversation and became friends almost instantly. Despite this initial promising start to their relationship, however, events between the two of late have brought the development of their friendship to an abrupt halt. Gyr is now one of the few people Brynhilde would admit to feeling genuine hostility toward.
|●Raelin Aradan and Ne'ci Aera : Show text
The Templar's second-in-command is a man Bryn decided she liked the instant they met (unlike his hair). Bryn enjoys Raelin's easy-going nature, and their shared appreciation for levity. Bryn mainly knows Ne'ci through Raelin, and does not know her very well. That was not an obstacle, however, to Bryn aiding Ne'ci in a matter of great importance to the Miqo'te. Since then, the two have had a pleasant, but distant relationship.
|●Aryianna Nightshade : Show text
Of all of them, Bryn's relationship with Aryianna is perhaps the one that has most fluctuated. While they initially had a warm friendship, certain revelations regarding Aryianna's past made Brynhilde more cautious of her. While she holds no ill will toward Ary personally, Bryn has come to the grim realisation that if it were necessary, she must be ready to do her harm. She acknowledges, however, that this would take its toll on her, as time has developed in Brynhilde a great degree of care for the Midlander.
|●Ciel Lazuli Show text
Countless jobs and missions together have confirmed in Bryn's mind that Ciel is a talented fighter and a trustworthy ally. On the personal front, she finds Ciel to be a cautious, distant individual, which she respects.
|●Zaku Paku Show text
Brynhilde met Zaku through Ciel Lazuli, and in much the same way as she did with Ciel, formed her opinion of Zaku by working alongside him. Aside from being a competent adventurer, Bryn enjoys Zaku's friendliness and eccentric nature. The whole referring-to-himself-in-the-third-person-thing doesn't even grate on her any more.
- "She can sometimes be found at the Culinarian's guild in Limsa, where she cooks. The things she makes smell divine!"
- "She's certainly the charitable sort; I often see her goin' about the streets of Ul'dah an' the camps outside the gates, givin' gifts of food an' gil to the refugees."
- "Likes her drink, that one! When she's not out with them 'venturers, she can usually be found in the pub."
- "Don't bother, lad. That lass has a different suitor every sun of the week, but never takes a one of 'em to bed."
- "That's an odd bird she rides. Beautiful thing, but it's got a mean streak a malm wide. A bit like the rider, heh."
- "She's a tricky woman to track down. I hear she never stays in the same place for more than two nights. Sounds like trouble to me."
- "She's done well for herself. Aye, she used to be a down-an'-out, like most of the other Highlanders you see in the Sultanate. If only more refugees would care to follow her example, it'd do wonders to clean up cesspits like Pearl Lane."
- "Isn't that--? No, no. I must be mistaken. But damn if she doesn't look like one of those wretched somnus junkies I used to see around the refugee camps."
- "There are no records anywhere of anyone by that name having existed prior to the Calamity. She could've fallen to Eorzea from Dalamud for all I know."
- "You'd do well to avoid that one. She's been seen in the company of the shadier types of Ul'dah. I don't know what she's involved in, but it can't be good."
- "Rumour has it that she was one of the few poor souls who survived Carteneau, but just barely. It's hard to imagine what she might've seen and been through."
- "There's a sizeable bounty on that woman's head. Questionable characters are willing to pay handsomely for her capture, but not for her death. Quite who these characters are working for is uncertain."
- "Aye, that's her. Adelfrida Bloodwoad, daughter of the resistance. So called because she used to paint her face with the blood of the Imperials she had slain in battle. What, you don't believe me? Bah, fine. Believe as you wish. But I'm tellin' you, that one's as the Highlanders of old; she's as vicious as they come."
Player Character Rumors
- "Lady Brynhilde is known far n'wide for beating every single Sea Wolf in Limsa Lominsa to an arm wrestlin' match! She's th'strongest lady in th'world unless Lady Oak unlocks her secret Ancient Roegadyn Powers!" -- Bard Leilani Leilai
- "Brynhilde is one of the strongest women I've ever known. Intelligent, steadfast, loyal, and compassionate, it was as though the Twelve forged her to be a guardian and she bears that burden admirably -- even when she doesn't have to. She's willing to give her life to safeguard the lives of others, but I don't think she yet understands how many would be lost without her... " --Tiergan Vashir
- "Bryn is loyal to a fault. Even though we do not always see eye to eye, I trust her with my life... And take comfort knowing that she could end it if she wanted to." -- Aryianna Nightshade
- "Miss Wulf cooked me up the best steak I've ever eaten! No-ones e'er cooked me up anythin' without askin' fer gil b'fore. Huh? An apron... n-no... I dunno nuthin' 'bout that..." -- Caen Jabari
- "Miss Wulf. She has been fighting a long time. Perhaps as long as I have been alive. She has fought for her home, her life, her friends... and I think she will fight until she draws her last breath. I admire her courage and strength, I can only hope to realize some measure of it someday." -- Roen Deneith
- "It gladdens my heart te know tha' Miss Brynhilde is alive an' well, she remains e'ery bit as enchantin' as she did when I last remember seein' her moons ago. I feel every time we talk, I know an' understand her more, yet, at th' same time, feel I have only scratched th' surface o' her true depth." -- Gharen Wolfsong
- "Hah! The defender, eh? Bleedin' strange lady. She ought to be usin' all that power to get rich in the arena, not pullin' chumps like me outta their own goddamned messes! I still owe that smartass a goddamned drink. Better be one stronger than she is. Or older! Hah!" -- Brandt Wintfrydsyn
- "Brynhilde. She's a truly kind woman. I believe she looks after those close to her no less lovingly than a mother looks after her children." -- Kamome Greywing
- "Let's see. Noble, self-sacrificing, protective, good fighter, good healer, good leader. So obviously there's a lot bubbling just under the surface, right? What are you talking to me for? Go dig! Have fun. Oh, and, don't forget to ask how Striding Oak is doing. Heh." -- Zaius Rhal'seer
- "Basically the perfect woman. Never tell her I said that." -- Daghbheri Himalspyr
- "I call her 'Sister' for a reason. No other has earned the title. She is close to my heart, and will be the first I rush to in defense. She inspires, enflames and encourages in equal measure. And she also has a great arse." -- Steel Wolf
- "Wulf? Ala Mhigo yet lives through her, and if you ask me Eorzea would be foolish to overlook that." -- Warren Castille
- "Every drop of that woman's blood is precious. It flows thick with the life of Ala Mhigo." -- Berrod Armstrong
- "Bryn? I owe her so much. If it weren't for her kindness, I'd likely still be on the streets. sigh As a person, you ask? The 'haunted, stoic heroine' makes for a good novel but a tiring friend." -- Brave Horizon
- "I do not doubt she will be remembered as a hero. It matters not how much blood she has spilled: only that it came from the right people. Blood weighs more than gil, and there is so much gil tied to her head. It is only a matter of time." -- Delial Grimsong
- "...Even through our disagreements, I can think of no finer lass to have by your side. I owe her my life. I owe her my mind. And I swear I'll be repayin' those debts, even if it takes my entire life, aye?" -- Tiny Fawn
- "Lady Bryn is... She is as a...ah...a lighthouse! A lighthouse, standing tall and strong against what great waves break upon the shores she watches over, however the coast might weather. Her's is a welcome light cast for all those out to sea, and we wayward ships could ask for no better sight to find our way home." -- Reima Awen
- "I am glad to see more of Lady Brynhilde. First time I saw her, she was very distressed out of love and care. Now when I see her, she draws great strength from that. Is close to Sir Vashir the Captain so she surely is someone to look up to to get their attentions. I picture her like a strong matron; Halone and Nophica as one." --Jancis Milburga
- "The lady must make Thaliak smile, she does not dismiss history and knows the stories of the land's past. She shared one by the Destroyer's stone about the Autumn War; like recounting a scar that has not healed entirely. Mayhaps she will recount another story for you; they deserve to be shared." --Jancis Milburga
- "Someday, I want be like Wulf. Zaius and Wulf are strongest people. Even Zaius say Wulf is very strong! She gives very much but not take. She give love. She is very fun too. She make others laugh. It is respect. She be strong and give and love other people." --Flickering Ember
- "She not want help but need it! Garleans want take away! If everyone help we keep her here and safe!" -- Flickering Ember
- "She is Ala Mhigo. Ala Mhigo people are very important. Say mean things about them, she make you not wanted say it." -- Flickering Ember
- "Lady Bryn? She...is admirable, she is an example of someone who champions a cause to the best of their abilities. If ever were to ask someone to mentor me again, she'd be high up on that list." -- Leon Greymoon
- "Lady Brynhilde is known far n'wide for beating every single Sea Wolf in Limsa Lominsa to an arm wrestlin' match! She's th'strongest lady in th'world unless Lady Oak unlocks her secret Ancient Roegadyn Powers!" -- Bard Leilani Leilai
"Lady Brynhilde moved like the wind, fearless before her foes!
She struck down her enemies, that were larger then roes!
Half-man, Half-coeurl, they each fell before her might!
But alas - she was injured at the end of her fight!
That's when Lady Oak came in swift as the breeze!
She summoned Ancient Roe power and saved Brynhilde with ease!
Out came the spear-tip, lodged in Brynhilde's side!
And e'er since has love grown, burnin' brightly inside~."
-- A portion of the song "The Wulf and the Coeurls" by Bard Leilani Leilai
1539 - 1558 : The Ala Mhigan Cycles
Adelfrida Brandulfr (meaning,”Noble Beauty, Fire Wolf”) was born in Ala Mhigo on the 22nd Sun of the First Astral moon, 1539. The eldest child of the wealthy and highly-respect nobleman Járngrímur Brandulfr, Adelfrida was heir to a house possessing both ancient roots and proud standing. Járngrímur was a decorous, rational man, a staunch royalist, and a somewhat distant father who raised his children with careful precision, but little affection. Nevertheless, Adelfrida idolised him and was the very image of the dutiful daughter, obeying his edict that she act as a guardian and watchful eye over her two younger siblings, Bjollgrímur and Adele.
The siblings were inseparable, and lived a life of ease and privilege until the chaotic events of King Theodoric’s reign. Shortly after Theodoric began his persecution of the monks of the Fist of Rhalgr, Adelfrida’s mother, Adelheid, was charged with aiding enemies of the monarch and so was sentenced to public execution.
1558 - 1559 : Rebellion
Thus the Brandulfr siblings fell in with the rebellion against Theodoric, which culminated in the end of his reign as the Garlean Empire moved in to Ala Mhigo. While many at that time viewed the Empire as liberators, this misconception was quickly dispelled when Garlean forces began to purge the city of its nobility and coerce Ala Mhigans into what was essentially slavery. The Brandulfrs then found themselves exiled from the city their family had called home for centuries.
1559 - 1572 : The Resistance Cycles
Initially, Adelfrida and her siblings did not move west into Eorzea as many of those first refugees did. Instead, embittered by the loss of her home and way of life, Adelfrida succumbed to the urgings of her brother and joined the resistance movement against Garlemald. Those early days of the resistance saw some victories. But young Adelfrida was driven by a burning hatred and rage toward the Imperial invaders who she believed had taken her life from her.
Cycles passed, and still the family lingered in Gyr Abania, fighting Imperial forces wherever they found them, raiding their supply shipments and seizing whatever Garlean weapons and technology they could. The siblings fell in with a group of resistance fighters led by Dreki Ironmantle, an ex-captain in Theodoric's royal guard. Eventually, their accumulated, albeit modest, successes against the Imperials earned a reputation for the Brandulfr siblings, who by this point had been affectionately dubbed ‘The Pack’ by their comrades. But it was Adelfrida in particular who became something of the local resistance’s darling; with her flame-red hair, her youthful energy and ardent devotion to the cause, as well as her savagery on the field of battle, she and Dreki's company became rallying figures for several of the small resistance groups still remaining in the mountainous regions of Gyr Abania.
The resistance’s petty victories in the skirmishes against the Garleans in and around Gyr Abania did not satisfy Adelfrida. As the cycles passed and the Ala Mhigans seemed to grow no closer to retaking their home, her rage intensified steadily. It called for a blow to be struck against the Imperials in the region the likes of which they could never recover from. Eventually the resistance planned an operation with the potential to do just that.
Under Adelfrida’s leadership, a small unit of resistance fighters risked all to embark upon the mission to destroy a nascent Castrum in the Highlands. But in her hatred and zeal, Adelfrida could not anticipate the catastrophic consequences ahead of her.
1572 - Present Day : Without a Cause
"... I've nothing else tae do. When I finally let go, I thought I'd be free.
Instead I floundered, and felt lost without anything tae strive for, however hopeless.
I can't be one of these aimless adventurers, content tae fight for fame and fortune. 'Tis meaningless tae me."
The following characters may have the possibility of an RP link with Brynhilde:
- Anyone who keeps informed of known adventurers. While Bryn isn’t famous, her work has bought her a small amount of recognition.
- Anyone who lives and works around Little Ala Mhigo.
- Ala Mhigans, Ala Mhigan refugees and those involved with the Ala Mhigan resistance.
- Anyone who lived or worked in Bronze Lake around 5 cycles ago.
- Survivors of Carteneau, or those who assisted in searching the battlefield for survivors.
- Garleans, those with ties to the Garlean Empire, and those who work for it.
- Bounty hunters.
Trivia & Miscellaneous
- Bryn has a scar on her back from receiving a kick from a Chocobo as a young girl.
- She wears a silver chain necklace, on which hangs a distinctive ring with a fiery wolf motif, but she keeps this hidden under her clothing.
- Bryn held her first sword at the age of seven summers.
- While she is bothered by dirt in general, in particular Bryn can't stand having blood on her skin, especially if it's on her face.
- She has a mild case of dyscalculia.
- Brynhilde desires many things; a peaceful life and a free Ala Mhigo among them. But what she desires more than anything else is to have a child.
Bryn's identity as Adelfrida Brandulfr has been a closely-guarded secret for the last twenty Cycles, a necessary measure to avoid the Empire's hunting. If you intend to have your character allude to Bryn's history or identity, or her status as a fugitive, please speak to me first.
The correct pronunciation of her name would be "Breen-HILL-d' Voolf." The R should be briefly rolled, if possible. However, Bryn usually introduces herself simply as "Brin Wolf", as so few people are able to pronounce her name properly.
This character is on the Balmung server.
I'm in-character 90% of the time. Please don't be afraid to say 'hi' or drop me a /tell in-game. I'm always up for random meets, too. I am in the GMT time zone, but often play late.
If you like Bryn's profile layout, please feel free to use it. I ask only that you link back to this page if you do.
Bryn has a Tumblr! It can be found at http://brynhildewulf.tumblr.com/
An imposing Highlander known for her stoicism and fierce pride in her Ala Mhigan heritage, Brynhilde is a somewhat common sight around Ul'dah and Eorzea's wild places.
Guarded yet amiable, she appears a capable warrior and mercenary.
However, this Highlander is more than she seems. Disgraced Ala Mhigan noble and ex-Resistance fighter, Brynhilde lives life under a false identity, ever seeking to stay one step ahead of the Garlean Empire's terrible vengeance. All the while she endeavors to redeem herself for the crimes of her youth, a burden which she feels she will never escape.
She leads the secretive and enigmatic Aeon free company from their home in the Goblet.