Name: Iyrnswys Swygtyrnwyn
Translates to: Sister of Iron(Metal) Daughter of Silent Tower
"They say my father named me... in fact, they said that was the only word he ever spoke..." I grew up on a small island. The people there were servants to the forest and spoke with the wind. They always tried to teach the young ones of the village to commune with the spirits around them and call for them to give strength. I, however, could never understand. I couldn't hear the soft voices that the other children heard. "I really never heard much... except her singing...".
"Swygtyrnwyn... Daughter of Silent Tower... everyone knew why they called him that, but why couldn't he ever just say- ...". My father was known for his silence. That was the only name I ever heard him called. He was a great healer. I used to hear others speak of him; say he should have been named "Silent Mountain", that he was one with the earth beneath is feet and that the aether flowed through him as easily as it did the planet. He was silent to me too, "and her... but at least she sang...". I knew he had to love me, he took care of us. I had everything I could ever need. Well, except for a relationship. I used to see the other children running circles and jumping on their parents. I never did that. My father never smiled the way the others did... "I don't think he smiled at all...". I don't know if I hated him... or if I just wanted to love him...
" ...she used to sing that song... Never to me... but I always heard it..." I don't know my mother. She always worked. I don't know that I ever made eye contact with her because she was always looking for the next thing to do. But she would sometimes sing. I blame my father for her silence. Her voice was lovely, it colored my dreams and thoughts. I knew we were friends because she always sang when I needed it most. But how much can you love a mother who's name you never knew...
Over time, I stopped going to learn with the other kids and started walking around the island. Slowly, I had gained the same reputation as my father, and had even stopped hearing voices all together. I was barely aware that people stopped speaking to me, but I hardly looked to them anymore. Maybe I had became my mother, always looking forward, never really looking at anything. After too many moons to remember but too few to forget, I began to hear my mother's songs in my breathing. "She had gone to serve the twelve...", they said, but hadn't she always? Where were the twelve when she could no longer sing? Where were they when I begging until my eyes were dry to hear their voices in the wind or see their forms dancing amongst the trees? "No, I'm sure the twelve are there... they just stopped speaking around me... just like everyone else..." All she had left me was a ring... And her songs.
I had run across a cave one night on my walks. I should have turned and gone home. It was late, I was young, and I had no way to defend myself since the spirits did not speak through me. The staff I carried, my mother's, was no more than a walking stick to help me find my way. However there was something about this cave that was familiar. "I heard... her song...". My breath caught in my throat. Of course that would silence the sounds, or I guess that's what I had hoped. But the calling continued. The cave grew dark and tight as I ventured through it. The tight space opened up after walking more steps than have should ever been taken. That's where I heard the full chorus. The choir that lay around me shined brightly through the packed earth. The mines were no place for children, and I had never had a chance to see this. I reached out and touched a bit of the ore. "I think that's what it feels like to smile..."
It would be years later before the ore's song once again reached my ears. Between that time I had taken to the sea to protect the fisherman from pirates. I had grown strong and big wishing to work in the mines, to hear that song again, but they had closed because they were exhausted of minerals, so I took up axe and went to the sea to bring home coin. My father had left one day. He came to me while I lay in bed, I'm sure he thought me asleep. I felt him there towering over my bedside. He took my mother's staff from where it lay propped against the wall and left me the axe I still carry today. After that, he walked out. I never saw him again. I had to take care of the house and even though they never spoke much to me, the fisherman always paid enough for me to live. I went home everyday to silence. Sometimes I wondered if my parents ever existed, because it was no different now, without them. "Well, I guess there is no more singing...". I opened the door to their old room. A single ore lay on their bed. It was old and it's voice tired, that must have been why I never heard it before...
After that, I took the ore, the axe, and my mother's ring and left the island.
Iyrnswys possesses a neutral personality to mask herself with. To those who get close she is capable of being warm and welcoming. Because of her past, she is often jealous of others relationships and comradery. She feels a great desire to form bonds with people but often finds herself also fighting against that same desire, because her only relationships suffered in silence. At first she will often seem shy or standofish, but much like her mask, once someone gets close she speaks freely and often.
Iyrnswys wants to become a metalworker, but she is also very attached to the axe her father left her. The attachment to the axe is strange to her because she had never had any reason or chance to form such a bond with her father. She often hums to herself the tunes of her mother's song as if it's the only way for her to breathe.
Part 1: The Basics 1.What is your full name?
2.Where and when were you born?
6th sun of the 6th Umbral moon.
3.Who are/were your parents? (Know their names, occupations, personalities, etc.)
Father: Swygtyrn...Or at least that's what everyone called him. Mother: I don't know my mother. She never gave me the chance.
4.Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
5.Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.
Limsa Lominsa, alone.
6.What is your occupation?
I have come to learn the art of metalcraft from the guilds. Metal sings to me...Much like my mother did. But they require I prove my worth, so
for now, I must earn the respect of the people.
7.Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of
dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks.
I am a tall and fit female Roegadyn, I grew up working hard to be able to work in the mines to hear the metal singing...However they were closed for lack of minerals before I could get there. My hair is red and long, tipped with the same royal purple my eyes and lips wear. I wear what I need for what I am doing and what I can afford.
8.To which social class do you belong?
I was almost royal on the island, but there were no real castes amongst the mages. My father made sure I had everything I needed.
9.Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?
Not that I have found myself aware of.
10. Are you right- or left-handed?
11. What does your voice sound like?
I have been silent for most of my young life, but my voice is lower and almost sultry.
12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
I do not know of any.
13. What do you have in your pockets?
Enough to survive for now.
14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
I do not know, I have mostly been a loner, so I would not know how I am compared to others.
Part 2: Growing Up 15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
16. What is your earliest memory?
My mother's songs.
17. How much schooling have you had?
I could not follow the traditional teaching of the island where I was born, so I have the basic schooling of reading, writing, and arithmatic.
18. Did you enjoy school?
I did not spend much time in it because I could not fit in.
19. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
I learned to swing an axe from practicing swinging a pick. I have yet to follow the guild masters of the metalworkers.
20. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.
Indirectly it is easy to see I followed both my mother and my father in my initial silence, however I believe I am my own person because I long for relationships they did not have, my only role models now are the crafters who can make metal dance and sing between their fingers.
21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
We all got along in silence.
22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
23. As a child, what were your favorite activities?
Walking around the island, and after discovering the song that metal sung, sneaking off to the mines at night.
24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
Loner, to protect myself from being ostrisized by my peers.
25. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
My friends were the metals in the mine... I think my mother was my friend. But I don't know.
26. When and with whom was your first kiss?
I've not been able to form such a bond.
27. Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity?
28. If you are a supernatural being (i.e. mage, werewolf, vampire), tell the story of how you became what you are or first learned of your own abilities. If you are just a normal human, describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today.
I have not been touched by any darkness.
Part 3: Past Influences 29. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
Finding the mine as a child.
30. Who has had the most influence on you?
31. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
So far, getting to Limsa.
32. What is your greatest regret?
That I never had relationships with my family like everyone else did.
33. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
Sneaking off into the night.
34. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
35. When was the time you were the most frightened?
When I first heard the metal's song and realized it wasn't coming from my humming.
36. What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you?
Not hearing the spirits like the other children.
37. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
I would like to have made my dad smile and had my mother look me in the eyes. Just to know they knew I existed.
38. What is your best memory?
The metal's song.
39. What is your worst memory?
When I knew my mother would no longer sing.
Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions 40. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
Optimistic on life but very fearful of uncontrollable things.
41. What is your greatest fear?
I will never form real relationships and bonds with anyone.
42. What are your religious views?
I have been angry with the twelve enough to think they do not exist, yet I accept that they are there without rage blinding my eyes. Just that I cannot hear them.
43. What are your political views?
I believe that order can be worked toward but groups, but the bigger the group the more chaos is caused by sub groups.
44. What are your views on sex?
I ... do not think I am qualified to answer that.
45. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
I had to work as a protector of merchants a few years back, and I had to fight pirates. I did not fight to kill nor to wound. Just to get them
to stop and leave me and the people alone.
46. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
Break a strong bond.
47. Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love?
I have yet to experience anything like that so I do not know.
48. What do you believe makes a successful life?
I am striving to always find happiness, so I believe that would be important.
49. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)?
I hide myself in the beginning but I believe I would be easy to open up. I dream of conversations with friends who aren't real which I pour myself into.
50. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
I will form them after meeting people other than my own kind. I have only been around Roegadyn, so I only know them. I know captains are strong and charismatic whereas I would imagine all healers are silent. I have not had many experiences so they form fast.
51. Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it?
I have not encountered a situation I did not put myself in, so I do not know. I am sure there would be some time that this would happen.
52. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
I think... well, as long as my romantisized notions are true... love? Not just for another, but for friends and family.
Part 5: Relationships With Others 53. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?
Distance at first. I long to form bonds, but I am also afraid of them.
54. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
Right now, me. I have to survive and learn to sing and dance with metal. It reminds me of my mother.
55. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
I have to respect myself enough to stay alive.
56. Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend? Describe these people.
None right now.
57. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
58. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
59. What do you look for in a potential lover?
I guess happiness. I don't really know right now.
60. How close are you to your family?
We were not close in a traditional sense, but I built up closeness in my mind to compensate.
61. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
No, of course I would want to. I want to form bonds and there would be none closer than family.
62. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
Right now, I have noone, I would have to look inside myself and find a way.
63. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
Right now, no. Because my mother was taken from me and my father walked away.
64. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
That is not something I want to answer.
65. Who is the person you despise the most, and why?
My father. I believe his silence affected my mother and I know it hurt me.
66. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
I have not had much contact with people to know this answer.
67. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
I have not had much contact with people to know this answer.
68. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
I have not had much contact with people to know this answer.
69. Do you care what others think of you?
Yes. I want to be liked desperately. That is why I left school on my own, because I did not think the others would like me, knowing I could not talk with the spirits.
Part 6: Likes And Dislikes 70. What is/are your favorite hobbies and pastimes?
Mining and metalworking.
71. What is your most treasured possession?
The ore I found in my parent's room and my mother's ring.
72. What is your favorite color?
73. What is your favorite food?
74. What, if anything, do you like to read?
I have not had time to read more than job postings.
75. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, movies, art, etc.)?
Listening to the smithies of Limsa work. The clang of metal and grunts of the workers is a fine harmony to the song of the metal itself. I also enjoy hearing people sing.
76. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
No, there has not been enough coin for that.
77. How do you spend a typical Saturday night?
In a dream world, at a forge under the stary sky watching the metal glow and singing along to it's song.
78. What makes you laugh?
I have not laughed in my memories.
79. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
I would be shocked to see metal going to waste, but where there are metal guilds, there is no waste.
80. What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself?
I would sing my mother's songs with my ore.
81. How do you deal with stress?
With a swing of an axe.
82. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
I prefer plans.
83. What are your pet peeves?
I have not been around people much to know these.
Part 7: Self Images And Etc. 84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
I would wake up and check what I have and see if I need to get more. If not, I can dedicate the day to trying to make money and gain credibility, otherwise, I would need to replenish my supply.
85. What is your greatest strength as a person?
86. What is your greatest weakness?
My fear of forming bonds and the extreme desire to also do so.
87. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
That I could have heard the spirits when I was younger.
88. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
89. Are you generally organized or messy?
90. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
Good: 1) Swinging an axe 2) finishing work 3) Hiding myself. Bad: 1) Judging intentions 2) forming relationships 3) being myself
91. Do you like yourself?
I like who I think I can become.
92. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for
doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons…)
I want to become a renown metalworker who's wares dance and sing and shine much like the way I see metal.
93. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
To become a master metalworker.
94. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Proudly standing next to the guildmaster, helping train people in the ways of metalwork watching warriors walk around in my wears.
95. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
96. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
Find someone who would sit and talk to me about their childhood.
97. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
A mountain who glowed with the fire of the forge and who when sang, made metal dance beneith her hammer.
98. What three words best describe your personality?
Timid. Desire. Hard.
99. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
Quiet. Strong. Calm.
100. If you could, what advice would you, the player, give to your character? (You might even want to speak as if he or she were sitting right here in front of you, and use proper tone so he or she might heed your advice…)
Iyrnswys, don't be afraid to make friends.