There lies a land embraced by mighty gods Her name...Eorzea. As fates cross, swords will clash. Under the eldritch veil of a crimson shadow. Heroes of the realm, take up your blades! To answer the call of destiny.You must join hands...once again.
In the world of Hydaelyn, the term Eorzea denotes the geographical region comprised of the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands (namely, Vylbrand), as well as the civilization which spawned there.
Calling the area home are several independent city-states, the most notable being Limsa Lominsa, bustling port and pirate hub; Ul'dah, a desert city rich in mineral wealth; Gridania, nested deep within an ageless wood; and Ishgard, bastion atop the mountains.
Throughout the realm can be found climates both harsh and mild, as diverse as the skies are bast. Bleak, desolate landscapes stretch to uncharted horizons, their uninviting expanses yet to be traversed. Colossal monstrosities stalk the land, as if the mountains primeval had somehow stirred and risen. Of all the things Eorzea may be said to be, hospitable is not among them.
In the past, the city-states battled tirelessly, vying for domination and hegemony. Death-mongering beast tribes molested the land unchecked, leaving only destruction in their wake. Unseen enemies lurked beyond the borders, striking at the slightest provocation or show of weakness. The history of Eorzea is a tapestry woven of war and strife, stained with the blood of those gone before, and the tears and ash of fallen endeavor.
And yet the love the gods bear this unforgiving land endures, now as always. What is the allure of this seemingly forsaken place? With what hope and to what end do would-be inhabitants journey here to live out their days?
The answer lies with that which gives form to Hydaelyn and all myriad creation in it – crystals. The cornerstone of all things, it is these crystallized manifestations of the aether that beckon the people to come, risking all in the undertaking.
And so it is that adventurers too have harkened the call – to bear witness to the epic set to unfold in this land. This Eorzea.
- Black Shroud: Known as the "Twelveswood" by natives to the area, this forested region contains the city-state of Gridania.
- Coerthas: Mountainous region in the northern section of Eorzea's center, this area contains the majestic city-state of Ishgard.
- Dravania: In the far northwest of Aldenard rests this still mysterious region, where the scholarly city-state of Sharlayan is.
- Gyr Abania: On the eastern side of the continent rests this region. It is home of the once mighty city-state of Ala Mhigo, fallen at the hands of the Garlean Empire.
- La Noscea: This region encompasses the island of Vylbrand and its accompanying smaller islands, serving as the home region to the port city-state of Limsa Lominsa.
- Mor Dhona: Near the center of Eorzea rests this miasma filled wasteland, serving as an eternal reminder of the deadly battles with the Garlean Empire that took place here.
- Thanalan: Home of Eorzea's vast desert, this southern region houses the wealthy city-state of Ul'dah. South of Ul'dah, the sandy Sagolii Desert can be seen.