Jump to navigation Jump to search
Some of these rumors are untrue or greatly exaggerated. Please feel free to add your own rumors under PC!
|Occupation||Priest of Nald'thal|
|Rendezvous of Stars|
|Role-Play Style:||Family Friendly w/ some Mature Themes|
|Website:||Rendezvous of Stars|
|Time-Zone:||Primarily CST but EU friendly|
|RP Element:||The Axis Star|
|Headquarters:||Ward 8, the Goblet|
- Ghalleon Helseth was born in Ishgard to a small family (the second child, the first son) in the Hyuran vassal house Helseth, retainers to Great House Haillenarte. His chrismation name is “Gamaliel,” but “Ghalleon” (a hypocorism) is his political and ordinary given name. Since the best prospect for his family’s social, economic, and political promotion was through the marriage of his older sister (i.e. the hope that she would find a higher-class husband), Ghalleon’s parents enrolled him in the seminarium of the Ishgardian Orthodox Church as a young boy, and set him on the path of ministry. Seminary is an exceptionally common life choice for Ishgardian men with little prospects for social advancement and little prospects for valorous military service.
- Ghalleon, however, was genuinely pious, and enjoyed both his formation in the seminary and his periodic visits with his family. At 11, he and a few other neophytes travelled to Ul’dah with a few priests as part of a two-year program of study, prayer, and spiritual formation with the Order of Nald’thal. The year he and his delegation were meant to return, however, was the year in which Ishgard withdrew from the Eorzean Alliance and closed its borders to foreign nationals. Ghalleon and the delegation could have returned to Ishgard and pled for asylum as citizens; yet the political situation of the realm—the abiding threat of imminent invasion from Garlemald, and the whispered possibility of punitive military action by the Eorzean Alliance against Ishgard—led the delegation to decide quietly together that their best option for the present was to remain with the Order of Nald’thal as naturalized citizens.
- Ghalleon’s sudden alienation from his homeland and his family—even his letters were no longer being answered—was a period of intense spiritual crisis. However, through the advice of his mentors, prayer, and a particular spiritual experience, he accepted his current lot, and decided to enroll formally in the Order of Nald’thal as a postulant seeking ordination. The next fifteen years of his life would be spent in the pursuit and the realization of that goal; and in growing to consider Ul’dah, and specifically the Order of Nald’thal, his second home.
- More recently, Ghalleon has become swept up in the momentous events surrounding the reopening of Ishgard's borders, the Reformation of the Ishgardian Orthodox Church, and Ishgard's victory in the Dragonsong War. Ghalleon must now attempt to manage his established Ul'dahn life, residence, and priestly vows alongside his love for his homeland and his reunification with his family after so many intervening years.
Appearance, Personality, and Other Traits
- Ghalleon usually wears a long black cassock as a sign of his Order and vocation; but even when he’s not, he wears long sleeves and long pants. He dislikes exposing his skin, which is quite pale, other than his face and hands, and consequently he enjoys cold and windy weather, for which he is almost always well-dressed.
- He enjoys solitude, silence, prayer, and study; but he draws energy and strength equally from moments with close friends (not so much large gatherings or conversations with people who are strangers or merely acquaintances). He needs both elements in roughly equal doses, or he will begin to feel the lack of one or the other. Despite all this, his regency has greatly assisted his public speaking skills, and he has little trouble anymore speaking to groups, especially as a priest or teacher.
- He constantly thinks of qualifications or clarifications of even simple points he makes when he speaks, which frequently cause him to pause awkwardly mid-sentence in conversation in order to think. He is self-conscious about this verbal tic.
- In the past, Ghalleon rarely spoke about his family to anyone; this was mostly an attempt at self-discipline to endure a situation he believed was outside his control. His family reunited when Ishgard opened its borders; and while there is some awkwardness at times, all of them are committed to restoring a normal family relationship. He loves his mother and father very much—he was a natural fit for the priesthood, and bears them no ill will at all for being sent to the seminary. He loves his older sister especially, however, and seems particularly pleased that she seems inclined toward vowed religious life instead of marriage. He keeps them all in his prayer rule.
- Ghalleon is completely orthodox in his theology, and his faith is mature and intellectual. He enjoys speaking to the faith of the simple, and his pastoral manner in addressing himself to them gets better each day. He also enjoys conversations with the heterodox, doubters, and apostate, so long as the discussion is in good faith. He dislikes the scornful, the passive-aggressive, and the dismissive, and will quickly fire back at them in a similar tone.
- He believes not only in the importance of the true faith, but of tradition in general, and the pastoral ideals of stability, family and community bonds, marital fidelity, and the rearing of pious children. He is especially hostile to sexual promiscuity. Ghalleon—even as a priest—knows the pull of desire as much as anyone; but he believes that indulgence here attacks the very root of the family and the very root of the virtue of faith/fidelity itself. One who is faithful in small things is faithful in great things also.
- Ghalleon’s chief approach to any problem or confrontation is his intellect combined with his oratory. Any need, problem, or potential conflict he has is an occasion in which he attempts to reason out a favorable conclusion. It is not at all a self-conscious “bartering” or “persuasion”: his instinct that any problem can be talked through by rational people lies very deep in him, and he does not consciously realize that he always goes to this path.
- Ghalleon’s sister Phaedra is a Wildwood Elezen. The two are not related by blood; she became an infant ward of Absalom before Ghalleon was born. However, the two are very intimate and have always spoken and acted as if they were natural kin.
- He honors and serves the entire pantheon of the Twelve, but has a special devotion for four in particular: Nald’thal, the god of his priestly Order and Ul’dah (his second home); Halone, the goddess of Ishgard (his first home and his people); Nymeia, the goddess governing his birth month; and Thaliak, the god governing the month of his chrismation in the Ishgardian Orthodox Church.
Relationships and Miscellany
- ♥ Romantic Interest ♣ Family member ♦ Friend ● Acquaintance ♠ Enemy ☠ Deceased ○ NPC
Family & Friends
- ♥ Flora Valerian : "Flora and I have been wife and husband for almost a full year now--it is hard to believe how long we have been together. I love her very much; it's sometimes difficult to go days in a row without seeing her, but she's doing very important work that makes huge demands on her, and i'm willing to do my part for that, as well. ...How did you say you know her, again?"
- ○♣ Absalom Helseth : "Father was just invested in the House of Lords under Lord Baurendouin. I'm unbelievably proud of him, to have risen so high for the quality of his work. He was always so excessively generous with us as children, as well. Phaedra and I were fighting, once, and she tore my grimoire out of spite. I was furious... and he went out, that day, and bought me a new one, brand new. I... it wasn't even a big tear, it was nothing. 'Now you can have that one for using, and this one for keeping nice,' he said. I'll never forget it..."
- ○♣ Cornelia Helseth : "Mother was sick with pneumonia a year ago--she's better but she still sometimes has a nasty cough, I think. She and Phaedra still go to the cathedral choir and orchestra, though, just like when we were young. She always sent me care packages while I was in seminary too... She bought me a fountain pen with sterling appointments before I left for Ul'dah: I still have it."
- ○♣ Phaedra Helseth : "My dearest sister! She is a woman of overwhelming force, believe me. Her manner might overwhelm you. But, no, don't get the wrong idea. Phaedra is my ideal of womanly virtue."
- ♦ Zaphir Zurlac : "The man can be disagreeable and headstrong, but, he might as well be the mirror image of myself, in that regard. You're a fool if you don't listen to what he says carefully, even though he's probably just as liable to say foolish things. He's a thaumaturge, even though I think it's a shame the order let people like himself advance in the art without adhering to our faith. But he's still very talented; good with his hands, too--he sells little craftworks in a shop."
- ♦ Clalaris Sil Laris : "Seraph is great. I call her Seraph all the time, anyway. She is--like a lalafell... who is also a moogle. Ah. Ah, she will come up with a nickname for you. Accept it, because it's going to happen."
- ♦ D'ranmaia Shenn : "Miss Maia... she is a wonderful woman. She is utterly guileless. She has a beauty of virtue about her--her kindness and sweetness, and her inner strength. Her people are savages, to be sure; but meeting her, becoming friends with her, has been a blessing for me."
- ♦ Lucky Mewrilah : "I've known him for a while, now; though we've not had a chance to speak in a while. A fine fellow. We've had our disagreements, but rarely anything of substance, I feel. More a matter of temperament--I feel sometimes he's just in the mood to fight. He's probably his own harshest critic."
- ♦ Momone Mone : "Momone is a lovely woman! She cooks wonderfully, you know? Well, we've gotten to know each other better over the last moons. She's been dealt a difficult hand, recently. Try not to create more trouble for her. She's better than most of the people around her."
- ● Piers Hayward : "He seems nice enough, but I catch too many women hanging onto his arms for some manner of tomfoolery not to be going on there."
- ● Barengar Armsbreaker : "That's my wife's uncle. He doesn't seem to have a very good reputation, that much is obvious; but that doesn't mean anything. Keeps to himself, though. It's like all the Ala Mhigans, honestly. They'll hide the most trivial thing from their parents; good luck getting a peep out of him about anything."
- ● Anstarra Silverain : "We know each other--we work together, actually. I don't think I made the best first impression; but she's stuck around, and she's a woman I'd want to know. Not like that."
- ● Nonope Nope : "Ah, she's great! Nono is hilarious to listen to, especially with light subjects. She seems to bounce a bit through the day, to me, anyway, and with as many lalafell as I see going about their business through Ul'dah without cracking a smile, that's real refreshing, let me tell you."
- The Strategist (half of the time) and The Philosopher (half of the time)
- Too Clever By Half
- Paralysis By Analysis
- OOC Inspirations:
- This page would be incomplete without mentioning Ghaleon of Lunar: The Silver Star. I did not fashion Ghalleon as a direct or indirect copy of Ghaleon, other than the oblique reference to his name. It is, however, interesting to note Ghaleon's theological commitments, since the comparison has been made.
- Theme Music:
- I have a playlist for Ghalleon here!
- Page Credits: