An elder Roegadyn with all the warmth of a cannonball, Hammersmith is an immense Hellsguard who's come out of "retirement" at the behest of someone blowing up large portions of the continent including, but not limited to: Where he was trying to retire to.
Never known for being cheery he's even less such now, having been forced to pick his weapons up again and return to a life already well traveled.
- "I know the cities pretty well. Helped put a lot of holes in their walls. Marched through a lot of those holes. Don't trust walls. Don't trust cities. Don't trust people who tell you they're safe."
- "Hate's a strong word. I don't use it lightly. I find I'm using it a lot these days."
- "People build. People tear down. That ain't stoppin any time soon."
- "Cause trouble. Make things difficult. Or else someone else will."
- "Few things worth being stupid for. Best enjoy them while you can afford to pay their price."
- "Remember the compliments you recieve. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this: Tell me how."
Appearance & Personality
- Hammersmith is very, very large, even for a Roegadyn. His build is a working man's build. The kind you get when you've never been allowed, or allowed yourself, an extended rest from toil and obligation. His body is absolutely covered in scars, the most notable being the ones crossing his left eye and the dead orb inside it. His age is hard to determine. Without the protective sheath of armor or cloth, the extent of the large roe's scarring becomes even more apparent. Most of his body is a merged length of burn scars, badly healed blade marks, and several akward craters of keloid flesh peppered throughout. He could be anywhere from a very haggard 50 to a very well maintained and pissed off 70. Hammersmith is, above all, a testimony that spite can serve as a preservative.
- Hammersmith is well spoken, assuming you catch him without a bottle in his mouth. Given that this is a rare event, most times he speaks with the accent of his childhood village, which makes the torrent of filth, philosophy, and temptation all the harder to understand.
- Hammersmith is slow to actual anger but quick to annoyance and even quicker to act on that annoyance. People who aren't well acquainted with the giant Hellsguard often find themselves on the receiving end of poor impulse control paired to an even poorer tolerance for bullshit. What is considered bullshit often has a wild variance at any given time, meaning it's often best not to be within direct reach of Hammersmith at any given time.
- Hammersmith's fighting skills are based on a lifetime of heavy combat and the understanding of skirmishing that comes from it. It's not flashy and it's not stylish. It's efficient and practiced, with muscle memory retained from decades of taking people apart step by careful step. The Hellsguard looks slow, and has a severe disdain for 'showing off'. This works to his advantage in most cases. He enjoys brawling but he considers pulling steel on someone as something you only do when you intend to kill them on the spot.
- Hammersmith has a military history in Ul'dah, with a long record of service stretching back at least two decades from the current point in time. The few that recognize the name in the leadership refuse to say more than 'He was a siege master and he was good at his job.' His claims of retirement are validated by the official record with it marked as almost one year before Dalmud's decent. Several mercenary companies do have some record of a Hellsguard matching Hammersmith's description in their records pre-dating his service to Ul'Dah, though not under that name. His records of service in the mercenary companies were always short and normally involved an extremely violent campaign against large cities.
- His military service before his work in Ul'Dah was in Ala Mhigo and getting records out of that city isn't something that's going to happen easily. Hammer has been heard claiming all his friends are long dead. His age, combined with the high casualty rate of siege workers, Ala Mhigan citizens who fled the Garlean 'liberation' and the recent cataclysm add a great deal of weight to that claim.
- With little to no support or social structure left to him in his advancing age, it's not a surprise he's been forced to return to the fields of war and his old bloody craft to 'rebuild'.
- Hammersmith's teeth are filed to points.
- His one remaining eye is a dark, bloody red, usually matched to the often burst vessels surrounding it.
- One of his current hobbies seems to be participating in the local underground fight circles between stints of "official" work for the Immortal Flames.
- Hammersmith's loathing of mages is only matched by his utter hatred of chronic liars. There are guard records from the Yellowjackets several decades ago that suggest a sudden outbreak of tongueless "mutes" was due to politics and Hammersmith meeting head to head.
- That's probably not his blood colouring his hair. But it probably belonged to someone else, at some point, earlier in the day.
- Speaking of which: The Limsa Maurader's guild refuses to speak about Hammersmith in any official capacity and claims to have no records on him. Even those too young to know Hammersmith from that far back don't talk about his enrollment or lack there of.
- Hammersmith has been heard, in public, to claim to have had children. If they survived to adulthood is up for speculation, as is who would be stupid enough to remain in arm's length of him long enough to start raising a family.
- Coffee, smokes, and heavy alchohol seem to be all the giant consumes. Local merchants in Ul'dah note he does purchase large amounts of Hard-Tack from the Immortal Flames stockpiles though.
- Hammer apparently has an extreme view of the Hellsguardian approach to names. He views them as disposable and has used multiple over the course of his life when not signing his name to "Official" documents or in close company. Names suspected to have been associated with a Roe matching Hammer's look, outlook, and attitude include: War Dog, Pig Iron, Furious Goat, Hay Geezer, Hell Thrower, Tunnel Boar, Wall Demon, Ash Rat, Red Singer, Spark Song, Wall Eye, Warm Furnace and High Lantern. How he came to hold on to "Flameson Hammersmith" as a formal public label doesn't appear to be a story he's telling.
Some of these rumors are untrue or are greatly exaggerated. Please feel free to add your own rumors under PC!
● Everyone and everything
- Musical Thematics: Jim Croce- I Got a Name
- Musical Thematics: The Brothers Bright- I Got Blood on my Name
- Musical Thematics: Anais Mitchell- Why we build the Wall
- Musical Thematics: Incubus- Megalomaniac
- Musical Thematics: AC/DC- War Machine
- Musical Thematics: Everclear- One Hit Wonder
- Musical Thematics: The Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil
- Musical Thematics: The Temperance Movement- Only Friend
- Musical Thematics: Brother Dedge- Too old to Die Young
- Musical Thematics: Megadeth- Peace Sells
- Musical Thematics: MSI- Shut Me Up
- Musical Thematics: AC/DC- Big Balls
- Musical Thematics: GWAR- Let Us Slay
- Musical Thematics: MSI- It gets worse
- Musical Thematics: Rob Zombie- Blood Milk and Sky
- Musical Thematics: Bastion Soundtrack- The Pantheon (Ain't gonna catch you)
- Musical Thematics: Cage the Elephant- Ain't no Rest for the Wicked
- Musical Thematics: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Red Right Hand
- Musical Thematics: Hozier- Arsonist's Lullabye
- Musical Thematics: Billy Joel- Only the Good Die Young
- Template by Bancroft Gairn